A Memorable Trip to Inclusive Walkathon Chennai 2019


My experience from the day we (Karthik, me and Siddharth) started our journey from Bangalore to Chennai from Friday 23/8/2019 till the day we reached Bangalore from Chennai on Sunday 25/8/2019 for the Inclusive Walkathon 2019 Chennai organised by India Inclusion Foundation.

Event on Day 1 of the trip from Bangalore to Chennai- 23.08.2019

I had left from my home at Yelahanka to SAP Labs Whitefield by cab. I had booked an Ola cab and left at 10:05 am and reached at 11:05 am. Karthik, me and Renish were in SAP Labs Whitefield generally talking about the upcoming Chennai Walkathon which Karthik and me were planning to attend and volunteer. Karthik asked Renish to do some editing of photographs for the Chennai Walkathon. 
Karthik, Renish and me  posing for a photo.

Karthik informed Renish that he would come to his house and help him in editing work. Post discussions, Karthik and me went to his parent’s house from SAP Labs India Private Limited, to attend his parents’ anniversary. I gave a gift for his parent’s anniversary. Karthik’s wife Preethi had put kolam outside the house that is put Krishna’s feet from the door entrance till Puja room as it was Krishna Jayanthi (Janmashtami) and it looked beautiful.
Me cooking aloo sabzi at Karthik's home


I had cooked aloo sabzi for lunch. To make aloo sabzi I cut onions first and then for making sabzi I put little oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, onions and aloo and put little sambar powder and haldi powder and aloo sabzi came out well. Karthik’s parents Balasubramaniam Uncle and Vijayalakshmi Aunty appreciated my cooking of aloo sabzi and they liked it very much. Karthik also appreciated my cooking skills.  I had lunch in Karthik’s parent’s house (which consisted of aloo sabzi made by me, carrot sabzi and sambar rice which was made by Karthik’s mother) and after having lunch there was a team group photo.


Group photo with Karthik's family

Post lunch, Karthik and me left from his house in Whitefield for Chennai at 2 p.m. We went by Karthik’s car and on the way Karthik and me picked up Siddharth from HSR Layout and continued the journey. On the way we saw the hills, plains, mountains that is Krishnagiri, Vellore and Ambur and saw lot of greenery on the road, full of coconut trees, lots of houses on the road. We also spotted some colleges. We went by highway road and the drive was wonderful. On the way we stopped for tiffin at Hosur Adyar Anand Bhavan at 4:00 pm.


Siddharthme and Karthik at Hosur, Adyar Anand Bhavan for tiffin


Karthik sponsored the tiffin had by three of us at Adyar Anand Bhavan. After tiffin we proceeded from Hosur and reached Kancheepuram.  At Kancheepuram highway road we stopped at Hotel Arya for coffee. Karthik had hot badam milk and palak/keera vada and I had badam milk. Karthik sponsored this also.

We saw the various hills, view of the peak, scenery of mountain peak. The weather was pleasant and not very hot. We saw the view of the mountains, rocks on the peak and could see the stones on rocks like Ramanagara view Sunrise trek which we had done in June. We saw Sriperumbudur on the way and Poonamallee Highway Road connecting Bangalore Hosur road.


We reached Chennai and went to Shankar Mama’s house and just said hello and told we will be coming after dinner. We saw Preethi’s brother Raju and Rajalakshmi Mami and said hello. We told Rajalakshmi Mami that we will be going out for dinner and Rajalakshmi Mami asked whether we will sleep on 1st floor and said we will go to second floor and sleep. Mami told don’t sleep on first floor as it will be uncomfortable and told can sleep comfortably in second floor with A/C being there on top and room would be cool.

From the house we went to Saravana Bhavan hotel to have dinner. Karthik sponsored our meal which consisted of mini tiffin, his dinner and Siddharth’s dinner. He had paid through his credit card. After dinner we went for a ride in Karthik’s car. After ride we came back to the house. We stayed at 2nd floor in room in Preethi’s house (who is the occupational therapist and also Karthik’s wife) arranged our luggage and then changed our clothes. We refreshed ourselves and went off to sleep. Karthik and me had slept in the cot and Siddharth had slept on the floor with AC.  The bedroom had only fan but we got the AC wind from hall till bedroom because door was open.

Event on Day 2 of the trip at Chennai – 24.08.2019
Me in the bed after doing stretches in the morning 


On 24/8/2019, we had dosa for breakfast in the morning at Rajalakshmi Mami’s house which was prepared by Mami.  A group photo was taken in Rajalakshmi Mami’s house before leaving. Karthik and me had gone to Olcott Memorial Secondary School to do volunteering activity for walkathon. We passed via Guindy and Madhya Kailash road which goes to Tara Mani Spastics Society (where I had written my Class X and XII NIOS Board Examinations). We passed through IIT College Madras, Guindy and Anna Salai the road which goes through Satyam Cinemas.


Group photo with Rajalakshmi Mami and Shankar Mama and Siddharth



After reaching the school, I did distribution of pins, giving T-shirts of various sizes such as S, XS, XL, XXL and M. The data was captured in Karthik’s laptop. I did checking of BIBs and T-shirts given and pins. Later, Karthik, me and Sudarshan had gone to Ratna Cafe to order for lunch. Sudarshan and Karthik  had given the order for lunch. Karthik paid for this through his credit card.


Me doing volunteering work at Olcott Memorial School



Lunch was delivered at Olcott Memorial Secondary School. Karthik told me to do filtering in excel T-shirt sizes M, XL, XXL, S, XS and L and M were 17, L were 15, XL were 15 , XXL were 2, XS were 13 and total number of T-shirts and BIBS given were 62. Karthik told me to distribute T-shirts and BIBS with pins and also photographed me. From Olcott Memorial Secondary School Karthik and me had gone to Opera Residency. We went to the room and freshened up ourselves. 
Me doing distribution of BIBS and Tshirts to participants

After freshening up Karthik and me went to Olcott Memorial Secondary School to see whether arrangements such as food counters, stage set up and water stations stalls had been done. Sudarshan who was the volunteer of Walkathon gave a talk about what the walkathon was going to be about. He informed that the walk would be from Olcott Memorial Secondary School towards Murugan Idly Shop going towards Elliot’s Beach and back to Olcott Memorial Secondary School. Water stations would be put up with water, biscuits and chocolates. Some Glucon D also would be served during walkathon. The police also would be handling inspection of vehicles which would be coming from opposite direction due to walkathon.

There would be two types of walk one is Buddy Walk and Blindfold Walk. Buddy Walk is wherein where one buddy would be walking with another buddy and blindfold walk is where on person would be blindfolded and one person would be holding other person’s hand to see whether he is going in the opposite direction. Karthik and me were inspecting the stalls put up during Sunday’s walkathon and arrangements done. Also live performances such as music, dance and stage performance arrangements were to be put up on stage. Water stations would be put up in one stall and food would be in another stall.  Karthik was talking with the other person who was organizing the arrangement.

From Olcott Memorial Secondary School Karthik and me had gone to Marina Beach. Karthik had called up Siddharth to ask him whether he is coming to Marina Beach and Siddharth told that he was not coming. Karthik and me went to Marina Beach to have fun. At Marina Beach I saw the people were riding horses, merry go round where people were playing, balloon shooting where I had done shooting of balloons, saw the sea, enjoyed the sea waves, sat in the beach in the sand and relaxed, enjoyed the water in beach and flow of water. In the beach me and Karthik had done a video call with Sridhar and informed him that we had come to Chennai, were in the beach enjoying the water, flow of water and sand.
Me standing in sea shore facing the sea



From Marina Beach Karthik and me went to Olcott Memorial Secondary School to again check whether all arrangements had been done properly for the walkathon.  From Olcott Memorial Secondary School Karthik and me went to pick up Siddharth from Opera Residency and from there, we went to have dinner at Sangeeta Hotel, Adyar. Siddharth had given a treat on Saturday  because he had come with me and Karthik to Chennai for the first time.  Siddharth had paid through his credit card at Hotel Sangeeta.  In the hotel, the karaoke person called me up on stage to sing a song and I sang Illayanila Song. The karaoke person sang with me and Karthik also came and joined me. The people appreciated and praised  my singing. After dinner Karthik, me and Siddharth went back to Hotel Opera Residency and went to sleep.



Me and Karthik singing Ilayanila at Sangeeta Hotel

Me and Karthik at Sangeeta Hotel



Event on Day 3 of the trip Chennai to Bangalore and return – 25.08.2019

On 25/8/2019 Karthik and me went to Olcott Memorial Secondary School early morning at 5 am to do volunteering work. I gave people BIBs and T-shirts to wear. Prior to the walkathon, there were dance performances, singing and a lot of zumba.  Even Major DP Singh (who was the Major General had lost his leg during Kargil War 1999 and is India’s first major blade runner ) was present. Walkathon was about being inclusive towards people of all kinds and also creating inclusion among people.
Participants warming up before the walkathon


The walkathon started at 6:45 a.m. The walk was from Olcott Memorial Secondary School to Elliot’s Beach. I had walked with my buddy who was blindfolded (he covered his eyes with a piece of cloth ). So I held his hand while walking to ensure that he does not fall somewhere on the road. However, the man’s wife told me that she too will hold her husband’s hand to make sure he did not fall. So I walked independently with other  people on the walkathon route. 

Inclusive Walkathon 2019 Chennai Start

Water was served with biscuits and chocolates at various water stations enroute. On water station near Elliot’s Beach I took a small packet of biscuits and little water. Near Elliot’s Beach while coming back to Olcott Memorial Secondary School, I drank little Glucon D. In the Inclusive Walkathon Finish Line, the people were clapping and saying, “well done keep it up” to all the volunteers who had participated in the walkathon. I got a Goonj medal for walkathon.  


Goonj finisher medals


During the walkathon, I saw people were playing in the beach, enjoying the scenery of the beach, weather. I saw the traffic police were inspecting the vehicles and lot of boards for Chennai Traffic Police had been put up on road. One person was telling other person to be careful on the road so that they don’t rub against each other. Even the volunteers who were inspecting the water stations told little Glucon D is there and I took little Glucon D apart from water. I saw the beach water which was still in the early morning. Most people were sweating after walking because the weather was very hot at Chennai. There were people in wheelchair, people with visual disabilities, celebral palasy also participating in the walkathon.


Major DP Singh walking with Rupak Munje autistic artist and a blindfolded citizen



By finishing the 3K inclusive walk I have achieved my fitness weight goal of 80 kgs from 88 kgs in 2 months. I felt happy because I have achieved the goal I set for myself. SAP Roadies Recognised my efforts and named me as rock star of SAP Roadies Running Interest Group.

Me before and after weight loss 

After walkathon was over, there was breakfast with tea. After breakfast some live cultural programmes were held on stage. Once cultural program got over Karthik asked me to give an introduction about Myself and how “Autism at Work” program was launched in SAP. Then Karthik asked me to sing a song on the stage. I sang Krishna Ne Begane Baaro (since it was Janmashtami) and the audience appreciated. Then volunteers in audience were asking me the dates from the calendar and I could tell the corresponding day. I was appreciated for being a genius in calendar.  


Me briefing about Autism At Work

Karthik and me then did a call with Ferose regarding the walkathon and about my performance on stage. After walkathon was over Karthik asked me and Venky (who is at Autism At Work programme) to pose for a photo.


Me and Venky posing for a photo

Once walkathon was over there was birthday celebration of one volunteer with cake cutting. I had chocolate cake. After walkathon completion, I did  some distribution of GRIT books by Major DP Singh and BIBs Inclusive 3K Walkathon and also shared with another person for distribution.

Post the walkathon, I went to Ratna Cafe since Karthik wanted coffee. I took some milk. I sponsored breakfast for Karthik and me. From Ratna Cafe Karthik and me went to the room at Opera Residency and took some rest and left at 12:30 p.m. (since checkout was at 12:30 p.m).  


Volunteers group photo

Karthik, me and Siddharth left the hotel at 12:30 p.m. to go to Chennai. We went by car on highway road from Poonamallee Highway Road connecting Bangalore Hosur road to Vellore-Walajah Road. We had stopped for lunch on the way at Sai Sangeet Hotel Walajah Road which connects Vellore and Ambur. Karthik sponsored the lunch at Sai Sangeet Hotel.

After lunch, we took the road going towards Vellore and Ambur. While coming back, I saw lot of greenery, coconut trees, view of the mountains, hills, serene atmosphere etc. I saw Vellore University College and Ambur station on the way. I saw the view of the plains, hills, rocks and greenery. The car went at high speed from Hosur to Bangalore. Karthik drove at fast speed. I had a good view of the scenery and mountains. I saw the Madiwala Road going towards Bannerghata Road. It was drizzling lightly near Hosur but no heavy rain.

Karthik dropped Siddharth at Silk Board and from Silk Board he went to HSR Layout by Uber cab.  Post this, Karthik dropped me at Marathahalli Outer Ring Road. I booked an Ola but driver was stuck in traffic. So I took an Uber. In Uber driver’s app the trip got cancelled and so he dropped me near Hennur. From Hennur I took an Ola cab and came home to Yelahanka at 9.30 pm.

We that is Karthik, me and Siddharth had a nice and comfortable journey and enjoyed our trip to Chennai and back to Bangalore between 23/8/2019 and  25/8/2019 for the inclusive walkathon.

Everyone is good at something is one of the leanings for me from this Chennai trip.


Everyone is good at something.


Manas (myself) 


Comments

  1. Fantastic blog on the Inclusive Walkathon Chennai 2019 trip.
    Every event of the trip was covered in detail and the story format with photographs is amazing!

    Congratulations Manas. Keep writing about your travel and treks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Trek to Kodachadri Peak from 22nd September 2023 to 24th September 2023

My Ramanagara Trek on 21/6/2019

My Trip To Auroville Marathon from 16th February 2024 to 18th February 2024